Recent headlines have been full of the pending divorce of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Even for Hollywood’s power couple, the effort to build and maintain a healthy marriage has been extremely challenging.
A happy and healthy marriage takes the ‘continuous’ commitment of two individuals, willing to yield their interests and self-will for the good of building unity and oneness. Individuals use to living and making decisions independent of others find this difficult. Without Christ being in the center of the marriage, it is even more difficult to succeed at this.
In an ideal marriage, each spouse would place the needs and desires of the other first. Since we can’t make our spouses behave this way, all we can do is control our own behavior and pray that it will positively influence our spouses to love and cherish us as Christ loved the Church..
In Proverbs 31, God has graciously provided a model for women to follow, if they desire to become the wife that husbands will love, honor and respect. This chapter describes the characteristics of the wife of noble character. Let’s take a look.
- She is industrious and hard working. You won’t find this woman sitting back watching soap operas and eating bon- bons. This wife gets up early to start the day, creating and making the most of opportunities to provide for her family. She makes the most of her day and doesn’t get caught up in pettiness and gossip.
- She is smart and has business saavy. She’s wise and knows how to handle her business. She’s resourceful and doesn’t rely on her husband’s efforts and income.
- She’s a planner and is pro-active in planning for the unexpected or lean times. Her family feels safe and secure because they trust that Mom has made provisions and even has a backup plan.
- She partners with her husband to provide for the family. She works tirelessly in and outside of the home caring for her family. The earnings derived from her business ventures, combined with her husband’s income and resources sets her family on solid ground. She supports her husband in his endeavors. He knows that she has his back.
- She is charitable. Although her efforts are directed towards making sure her family has what they need, she is still generous, freely giving to those less fortunate and in need.
- She is wise and always truthful in the instructions and guidance she provides to family and friends. She is caring and exudes warmth, attracting many by her grace and style.
- Due to her intellect, integrity, work ethic and wisdom, she is well respected and revered within the community. She is adored and loved by her husband and children.
- She fears the Lord! She is humble and recognizes where her strength comes from and is grateful for the blessings God has bestowed on her. Her faith is solid as she has learned to trust the Lord at all times.
The husband married to the noble wife is proud as a peacock. She makes him look good as he becomes the envy of every man who knows him. A wise husband will value the noble wife he has at home and be content.
However, if he’s crazy enough to go grazing in greener pastures, he’ll quickly find that it’s artificial turf. He’ll be back!